Celebrate Earth Day this year by adding more healthful greens to your diet.
Today’s featured green-tastic food is: K A L E 🙂
And now, for an inspired recipe…..
Massaged Kale Salad
- 2 heavy handfuls (2-3 cups) of organic raw kale leaves (I prefer the lacinato a.k.a. “dino” variety)
- 1 tsp. of olive oil (I’ve use truffle oil occasionally and it is AMAZING)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp. of Celtic sea salt
- De-stem the kale leaves from the stem by simply placing your index finger and middle finger (in the shape of a claw), and “claw” down the center of the leaf to de-stem while simultaneously pulling the leaf away from you with your other hand.
- In a large bowl, combine the de-stemmed kale leaves with the remaining ingredients.
- Lightly pour an additional 1 tsp. of olive oil onto your hands to coat.
- Using a massaging action (similar to kneading bread dough), start to tear the leaves apart and massage.
- Continue massaging for about 2-5 minutes or until the leaves are softened, the leaves will also turn a more vibrant green.
- Use this as a salad base or add toppings of your choice for a complete meal in a bowl.
Root Vegetable Kale Salad
This salad contains delicious golden raisins and kale; fiber and vitamin A rich kale and root vegetables, topped with omega-3 rich walnuts and protein rich edamame.
What you’ll need:
- 2-3 cups Massaged Kale Salad
- 3 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1 cup roasted root vegetable you enjoy (sweet potatoes, beets, parsnips, turnips, celery root, etc.) cut into chunks
- 1/2-1 cup edamame
- 1/4 cup walnuts
Assembly: Take massaged kale salad and stir in all the remaining ingredients until combined. Top with a favorite dressing, such as zesty lemon shallot or balsamic.